Do you want to make authentic Chinese food but have trouble reading Chinese recipes? In this lesson we learn some words and classifiers which often appear in recipes, to start our journey on becoming Chinese food experts!
We will learn how to cook a simple Chinese dish called 西红柿炒鸡蛋 [xī hóng shì chǎo jī dàn] （stir-fried tomato eggs）. Let’s start out by having a look at the 菜谱简介 [cài pǔ jiǎn jiè] （recipe summary）.
Recipe summary: Stir-fried tomato eggs is a common household dish. It's not only easy to make but also rich in nutrition, which makes it loved by everyone.
This a commonly used pattern, roughly equivalent to the construction “not only ... but also ...” in English.
She can not only cook Chinese food, but Japanese food as well.
OK, let's return to the recipe. In order to cook, we have to prepare 材料 [cái liào] （ingredients）.
Ingredients: 3 eggs, 2 tomatoes, 1 scallion, 5 grams of salt, 15 ml cooking oil, 3 grams of MSG.
We saw a lot of different classifiers in the above example. Let's have a look at how they are used.
个 [ge]— before nouns without special measure words of their own
根 [gēn]— for long, thin objects
克 [kè]— gram(g.), 千克 [qiān kè] — kilogram(kg.)
毫升 [háo shēng] — milliliter(ml.), 升 [shēng] — litre(l.)
Seasoning is an important aspect of cooking, so let's have a look at how to say some of the most common types of seasoning in Chinese.
Now the ingredients are ready and you can start cooking. Let's learn some verbs that will come in handy.
Having learned these words, we can finally take a look at this recipe's 做法 [zuò fǎ] （instructions） !
1. After washing the tomatoes clean, scald them using hot water for two minutes, then remove the skin and slice them.
2. Crack the eggs into a bowl, add some salt and MSG, then whisk until they become liquid.
3. Wash the scallions and cut off the tips.
4. Put some oil in a pan and heat until mildly warm. Pour in the beaten eggs. Don't stir at first; wait until the eggs solidify a bit and then stir.
5. Add the tomatoes and stir until the eggs and tomatoes become soft, then add a bit of salt and MSG. Finally add the scallion tips and that's it.
Congratulations, your delicious stir-fried tomato eggs are done! Please enjoy!
See you next time!